7.09.2008

Patty Cake Patty Cake, Baker's Woman...

So most of you know that I do not cook. Well, I cook but I am not the fondest of cooking and I would much rather have someone cook for me. But I do love to make dessert every once in a while. I usually have to have a reason though - I mean, come on, I am still trying to lose weight and I am not good at saying no to sweets, especially ice cream.

Back on point...for family birthdays/events we usually get together for dinner. Assignments for food are given and inevitably, I am usually told "bring your own meat to BBQ, bring a green salad or veggie, and some ice cream." Seriously, I feel like no one thinks that I can cook. I never said I couldn't cook just that I am not the fondest of it. No matter how many times I feel like I prove myself, I am rarely assigned to cook anything.

So finally at Easter, I said something again. My brother, Eric, and his family were in town and I just wanted to cook something. So I got assigned dessert. No dessert in my family is not easy. I'm not a fan of fruit and my dad and some brothers are no chocolate eaters. BTW, who doesn't like a good piece of chocolate? So what to make for dessert under these parameters...

Well, instead of one dessert, I decide on two. First, sugar cookies for the kids and no fruit eaters (yes, I made them from scratch and of course, shaped for Easter). Now the adult dessert, I decided to try and make cheesecake from scratch (no mixes), even the crust was from scratch. After searching for quite a while through all my recipe books (now I may not cook a lot but I do like to buy recipe books. Weird, I know.), I decided on a blueberry lemon cheesecake. Eric said that he liked blueberries so since he was visiting that decided it.

I have to say, the thought of making cheesecake is a little stressful. But actually, it is not that hard. Just takes forever to cook (like 3 hours). So here is the final product, my first cheesecake...



It's a shortbread crust with lemon cheesecake and then blueberries are plunged inside the cheesecake and also on top. I know it's not the greatest (or any) styling but you get the picture. I've determined that I need a cake stand also.

So after that success! I was assigned once again to dessert for my brother, Jeff's 40th birthday dinner. Cheesecake again. Just can't get enough. This time I made vanilla bean cheesecake with a shortbread crust and a homemade raspberry sauce for fruit lovers and chocolate sauce for me.

My next attempt will be a strawberry and cream cheesecake that looks divine. I will keep you posted.

11 comments:

Mama Bear said...

Your blueberry lemon cheescake looks amazing.

BTW - Aaron is on his way over to your house even though it will take him 10+ hours to get there. I hope you have a cheese cake ready! (seriously - just kidding, but once he sees the pictures he may ask me why I don't make cheesecake. Guess you will just have to send me the recipe)

Karen said...

That blueberry lemon cheesecake looks so Yummy! I'm drooling. =) Great job on your first cheesecake! I totally wish my first cheesecake looked that good.

Shaina said...

Wow! Those cheesecakes look great! Love the combinations of fruit....and the homemade sauce sounds really good!

Christy said...

That Cheesecake was TO DIE FOR! Although, I'm pretty sure Eric doesn't like blueberries, but I'm glad you made it anyway!!! Will you fedex me a piece of your strawberry concoction when you make it... or better yet, bring it here yourself! :)

Jen Sue Wild said...

I am impressed!!! Great looking cheese cake..

If I was rich I would have a chef i don't enjoy cooking and I am not very good at bakeing..

robert said...

Looks yummy!! I too have some recipe books & used to try new recipes from them.

Sara said...

Oooooo, I am so impressed! Nice styling, too. You can make me a cheesecake any old time you would like :)

And I've had a bunch of stuff that you have cooked and you are a totally good cook :)

kristin said...

looks delicious!
Ahhh, do you remember those days of college dinner groups.... we were definitely not adventurous cookers then! :)

Amy M. said...

Looks pretty freakin' good to me!

Jenni said...

OMG, it is perfection!!! I didn't get to try the blueberry lemon, but the vanilla bean was to die for!!! Seriously rivaling The CHeesecake Factory!! Can't wait for the strawverry "concoction"!!!

Ande said...

That looks Yummy!!!!! The cheesecake part. Good job. I have yet to try and make a real one. :)