11.27.2007

Black Friday - The Experience

So, I attempted Black Friday for the first time. Yes, kind of weird since I love shopping but in recent years with having both Kate and Matt, I have turned to internet shopping. Well, I guess I do internet shopping throughout the year and probably 80% of my shopping is off the internet. But that is besides the point. Back to Black Friday....

My friend, Jenni, asked me to come along on her Black Friday excursion. Unfortunately, that meant leaving my house at 4:30am (which meant getting up at 3:50am to get ready). So Jenni, our other friend, Amy, and I set out for our day of shopping at 4:30ish (come on, we're Mormon and we are never on time). First stop, Starbucks for peppermint hot chocolate - thank you Starbucks for opening at 4:30 every morning. Then on to Toys R Us in Concord since it opened at 5am. The lines were crazy but not the frenzy that I had imagined. In my head, I was picturing moms pushing and grabbing for the toys but not so - thank goodness. I have to say, I am not sure why people wake up their little kids to go to the sales - saw this a lot and the kids looked miserable. After Toys R Us and a hefty portion of shopping done and oh, a stop at the car to get rid of our loot, we headed next door to Target. More good shopping and I have to say that I am now almost done with Kate and Matt for Christmas and Matt for his birthday.

All in all, we went to Toys R Us, Target, Old Navy, REI, Michaels, a scrapbooking store, Right Start and Broadway Plaza in Walnut Creek. We were shopping literally from about 5:15am until 4pm, with a stop at CPK for lunch. I had a blast and it was great spending time with my girls - too much fun. And when we got home, we had to have Alan take pictures of our day's loot (now I have to say that by the end, we were starting to wonder where all the stuff was going to go and if it would all be in the car after we got it from valet in Walnut Creek - all was good). So here are the pics....

Here is the back of Jenni's car with all our loot purchased by 3 woman for our collective 7 kids and other odds and ends.


Side view of the car. The back seat had enough room for Amy; the other seat was full of bags.


The three shoppers after a long, hard, productive day. Don't we look tired - especially me.

Well, as a side note, after all that shopping, my body decided to go crazy and I ended up with a migraine-like headache soon after getting home. So bad that my dad and Alan had to give me a blessing so that I could sleep. And sleep I did for the next 12 hours.

But all in all, I had a blast and I can't wait to do it again next year. Maybe I won't be such a whiner next time.

5 comments:

Shaina said...

Wow. Way too much shopping for me. I would have been the party pooper, that's for sure. I can handle Ross, but anything beyond that, and I revert to my old ways of hating shopping.

Glad you had fun!!

Karen said...

I'm glad you had fun! I was a party pooper and stayed home. It felt great to not get up early and be in the middle of a crowd. I did black friday a couple of years ago and had a blast. It is so much fun to go out and be with your girlfriends!!! I'm sorry you ended up with a migrane, but hey you were able to sleep for 12 hrs. that's great!!!

Christy said...

I was a party pooper too - I woke up with a sinus infection so I went to Urgent Care to get antibiotics - by the time it was done and I headed to Kohls, the lines were an hour wait... just not worth it to buy pj's for the fam - they'll go on sale again before Christmas!

Jenni said...

Black Friday ROCKS!!! So glad you took a leap of faith and joined your crazy friend shopping (ok, I'm talking about me)...I felt so bad you got such a bad migrane--BUT, I will say that I had a blast! We'll have to make it a tradition. By the way, my favorite part of those pictures is the teddy bear falling out of the trunk...it's seriously hanging on by a thread!

Jenni said...

by the way---you totally beat me by posting this first...I'm so far behind!